Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sweet Sweet Boy Misunderstands Sweets

Theo must realize he's sweet and mistakenly believe he needs to eat sweets to remain so. It's the only explanation I can come up with for his grabbing a box of treats and chowing down the other day.

I have to admit the first thing I said when I came across him on his belly in the kitchen eating the treats delicately, one at a time, was 'Well played, my friend.'

Then I put him in his crate for 2 minutes to think about what he had done.

Sweet, silly boy.

Seriously, most of the time, he's nothing but a pleasure. He just LOVES food. And who can blame him? He's a skinny guy and he's just doing what's served him well so far: Eating when he can. (That said, he's not food--or anything--aggressive.) He'll learn that his lonely days are over and food --and belly rubs and a warm place to sleep--will always be there for him from now on.

The sweet boy is heartworm positive; it's not uncommon in dogs like him who've seen the rougher side of life. His heart is slightly enlarged (again, not uncommon--I like to say he's the opposite of The Grinch). The meds he needs are working their way through his system and I can't wait til he's cleared to bound around (he's got to keep it to short walks for a few more weeks).

When he first came to stay, he was terrified of his own shadow. It's pure pleasure to see him realize he's safe and embrace life. The other day, he amazed me with his first 'play with me' bow to Bella. I swear, my heart grew at least a size seeing it.

The 'out-of-his shell' Theo loooooves belly rubs, sleeping in the closet, hanging out chewin' bully sticks and staring soulfully with his incredible brown eyes to solicit love from everyone.

Now all he needs is his forever home.









Support homeless animals--adopt, donate, foster, volunteer your time, spread the word.
Click on the paw print to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. yes, enlarged hearts are fairly common with dogs with Heartworm and usually, the heart returns to a normal size when the heartworms are gone.

    ReplyDelete